A Day in the Life of a Blonde

Just the mindless wanderings of a blonde!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fast food -- not an option.

That would be because I have food poisoning. We spent early Wednesday morning in Labour & Delivery (L&D) at the Rockyview because I was having contractions. Why was I having contractions, you ask? Because I was EXTREMELY dehydrated from throwing up and other bodily functions that cause you to lose liquids (I will spare you those details).

Brian got home from work Tuesday night and he was hungry. I wasn't feeling good. He made himself some dinner...I wanted to hurl. Finally at about 9:45 I decided to take a bath and see if I could relax me and baby and maybe feel better. At 10:00 I was sprinting for the toilet to throw up. I had to sprint to the downstairs bathroom because poor Brian doesn't do well with me throwing up. So I finished that lovely episode and came upstairs and tried to go to bed -- ha. Within a few minutes I was having contractions -- just lovely. So I spent the next few hours trying to get comfortable, but my contractions were every eight minutes apart. Finally at 2:30 I called the health link and told them all of the goings on in me and they told me to head to my delivering hospital. So we were off. After I had a quick shower -- I didn't want to offend (even though I'm sure I was nothing compared to some.)

We arrived at L&D just before 4 and I explained my symptoms. The nurse said, Oh, sounds like the flu, eh? So they took all of the samples they needed, blood, urine, and then hooked me up to monitors. I LOVE hearing my baby's heartbeat. It was so fun to listen to. Even after four hours of it I didn't get sick of hearing it. They hooked up a heart monitor for baby and one for me. The baby was initially under some stress until they got the IV in me and fluids going and the contractions stopped. But it was hilarious to hear the baby swimming around and then eventually it didn't like the monitor on it and it kept kicking it -- you could hear it! It managed to kick it off a few times. (our baby already has a sense of humour!)

So I am still nauseous and the nurse gives me Gravol, which kind of works, but kind of makes me feel nasty all over again. I felt much better once half of the IV solution was in me and I was hydrated more.

Finally my doctor shows up at around 7:30 and she checks everything out and asks me what I had eaten the day before. The only thing I had really eaten was Wendy's for lunch. (Grilled chicken sandwhich and a salad.) She figures it was food poisoning because I'm not achy like the flu, and it came on SO violently that she thinks it is food poisoning. Fantastic.

So she tells me I'm on bed rest for at least two days and to take it REALLY easy, because she doesn't want me going into labour yet (and I don't really want to be in labour yet.) So here I am, on bed rest (well, computer rest at the moment). I wasn't allowed to eat anything until 10:30 last night and my fabulous friend Sylvanna, brought me over the most amazing home-made chicken noodle soup! She is also bringing me dinner tonight -- she is such a sweetheart!

Anyway, that's what is going on now! Baby is sleeping, which is great, because he/she was awake for most of Wednesday night, and I think that wore her/him out.

So, the fun never ends at the Bohn home. I think I will go and sit on the couch for the afternoon now. I have never wished for cable until now...our four channels will have to do, though! Well, actually, we do have some movies, so maybe I"ll put one in.

Happy blogging!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Emmakirst said…

    Oh NO! Hope it lets up for you, it's awful feeling like this, especially when preggie. Take care.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Want some company?

    I have a new (to me) mini van and I'm dying to take it out! I'll even bring Tammyalong, although a visit from Tammy and I might not be conducive to relaxing.

    We're a hand full.


    I sure hope you're feeling better soon. Let me know if you need anything. Cheesecake perhaps?

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger Devynn said…

    Jen,
    We are going away this weekend, otherwise I'd love to have company! I know we keep talking of a get-together -- what is next weekend looking like?
    Dev

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger The Dog of Freetown said…

    I find it's often useful to visit a Cathedral. Or buy a fish. Just one fish though. If you buy too many they become unruly and can get out of hand. What do you think?

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Brian - the Shrink said…

    Well, Jen. If you bring cheesecake, I would like a piece, too, lol. Just kidding. It would be good to see you guys.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home