A Day in the Life of a Blonde

Just the mindless wanderings of a blonde!

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

It is a good thing I can't afford Holt Renfrew -- I wouldn't go there after this!

So hubby and I have often had the discussion about how it seems that people are having kids because that's what you do after you have a house and a car and a great job. You have kids so that you can take them to staff functions and they look good. It is kind of a status thing. I know far too many lawyers that have nannies. To those lawyers I want to ask "Do you know what your child's favourite colour is?" Really, how much can you know about your kids when you work 18 hours a day? Anyway, it isn't just lawyers. But our society seems to think that you need to have a two-income household to survive. While I will have to work for a few more years, I'm not working so we can have all the nice stuff...I am working so that my husband can get out of school sometime. He can't work full time because he goes to school full time and volunteers with Special Olympics and church. Trust me, I don't want to go back to work, but I will for a while. That is different than what I see going on in society. I think children would do far better off with their moms at home, than with a nanny or in a daycare wearing the most stylish clothes and having the best toys. Maybe I'm old fashion.

The whole point of this rant was an article that Brian brought home that hits home exactly what I think is going on in society today. It was in the Calgary Herald about a month ago.

"FASHION STATEMENT FAUX PAS
Upscale retailer Holt Renfrew & Co., which has reintroduced pricey clothing for babies and kids has stumbled into some unfortunate language. In fact, it might want to rethink its communications strategy.

In a recent interview, Holt's president, Caryn Lerner, noted the upscale retailer is back in kids clothing because: "Kids are becoming accessories, and I don't mean that in a negative way, but they are a reflection of their parents."

Children are mere additions to one's lifestyle, like a Gucci handbag or Prada wallet? Good grief. Let's hope not.

Alberta is a consumer-friendly province. With no provincial sales tax and high disposable income, it's a retailer's paradise. However, our citizens are also properly protective of their children. Lerner might want to use different language in the future, or at least get advice from a public relations firm.

After all, kids never go out of fashion."

CAN YOU BELIEVE SHE ACTUALLY SAID "Kids are becoming accessories"? I am astounded. Anyway, I was really outraged by this before I found out I was expecting a little one, now I want to go and punch this Caryn Lerner moron.

People having kids because that's just what you do, not because you want a baby and you want a family, is one reason we have so many young disfunctional families, I think.

Just a rant from a pregnant blonde who always has an opinion.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Kris said…

    You know though I have to say if you really look at society that commenter is quite right...kids have become "accessories" for a large percentage of the population. This can be seen in the steep rise in cases of abuse and neglect (everywhere) as well as the sheer number of children in care outside the home (8+ hours a day), while parents work. Don't even get me started on the "welfare mentality" when it comes to having children because I know someone personally who has kids just so she can stay on welfare...how warped is that???!! It is an unfortunate consequence of an increasingly "worldly" world and it's just going to get worse in my opinion.

    K.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Devynn said…

    Kris,
    Yeah, we know people like that welfare woman too. In fact, Brian and I have SUCH strong opinions on welfare that we both have shirts that say "I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me."
    It is true that there are exceptions to every rule, but the welfare system has gotten out of hand.
    I will love my babies! And I WANT babies so I can have a family and nurture and do all of the motherly things that I have ingrained in me to do!
    dev

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Alyson said…

    Wow. But now that she has said it I guess I can see it. It has become very Chic to be pregnant in Hollywood. I am not saying all of them are having babies to look good. One thing that is good that has come out f this is actual cute maternity clothes. No more tents.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Devynn said…

    LOL

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Wow Dev! Can you believe you influenced your older sister to start a blog? Anyway, my comment for your last few postings would be that the best thing I have done in recent history is quit teaching piano lessons. Even though I still work about 8 - 10 hours a week, we have worked it out so that Reagan is usually with me or her dad and it's wonderful. Motherhood is so much less stressfull and so much more fulfilling. Don't buy into the notion that you have to have a career. The lives of those babies you will have and will influence are more important than anything else. When you leave your baby with a sitter it feels like your heart is being ripped out - it think that's for a reason, so the less you have to do it the better! You will be an awesome mom!!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Proud Mum said…

    Even further than the "accessories" comment -- which is inflamatory, I completely agree -- I've seen several programs in the past year on consumerism in America and how major marketing companies have deliberately targeted young children to "create loyal, life-long" shoppers. Their tactics are even more morally reprehensible than those of the tobacco and alcohol companies targeting teens.

    I'm with Alyson, though, yay Hollywood babyboom; thank you for cute maternity clothes!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home