A Day in the Life of a Blonde

Just the mindless wanderings of a blonde!

Monday, August 15, 2005

The computer crashed and so did I

Okay, so I have had yet another computer problem. Last February, due to yet another blonde moment in my life, I dropped my very nice Sony VAIO laptop and it died due to internal injuries, so I had to run out and replace it.
On Saturday after hubby and I ate lunch, I decided to actually do some work, so I waltzed my new 12-lbs lighter (thanks to the South Beach Diet) body upstairs to my cute newly-painted yellow office with my nice leather office chair, and I sat down to my computer screen which was showing some computer jargon. I thought "Oh, silly thing, must have had some trouble rebooting after a restart."
So I restarted it...and it froze...so I tried again...it froze. Then I realized I was in a lot of trouble if it didn't start...so I took a deep breath and then I let out a big "BRIAN, I THINK THE STUPID COMPUTER IS BROKEN." He came running...he too restarted it (this time by the main power), and it still didn't start.
By this time I am going into mild hyperventalative (is that a word) swings. I am trying to remain calm, but it isn't working. I decide to call a new friend of ours who used to run a computer store. He happens to have the day off, and lives a block away. He says he will be over in a little while. So I clean while I wait.
Then he shows up...looks at the computer, and in under five minutes gives me the diagnosis "Um...sorry to tell you this, but your motherboard is fried, dead...done."
Me, "What do you mean? How does this happen? I'm screwed, aren't I?"
His answer, "Yup, you're hooped."
Great! So, on Saturday night, we are in Best Buy looking for a new computer, instead of enjoying a BBQ at our friends' house. I officially hate computers.
Now, I have a question for you: Why can't computers just come out of the box and work? You pay enough for them and you still have a buttload of crap to do to them. I only got the whole thing up and running yesterday. And still, my Outlook isn't working quite right. Anyway, I hate computers.
Then I wake up this morning with a NASTY migraine. Any of you that know me know that I am very prone to them, but I firmly believe that today's migraine was caused due to the fact that I hate spending this much money on something I wasn't really planning on buying, but that I need ASAP and I can't really research. AHHHHHHHHHH.....
Anyway, I slept until 1:30 this afternoon. I am feeling a little better...but not much.
And I still hate computers.

By the way, I LOVE THE SOUTH BEACH DIET :)

4 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Kris said…

    UHHHH...if your other computer was pretty much brand new then the motherboard would have been covered under the manufacturers warranty (even if you didn't buy and extended one) the standard warranty is one year. AND..that would've been an easy(er) fix...a new motherboard. Luckily, I haven't had any probs.

    K.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Devynn said…

    unfortunately, the other one was 2 and-a-half years old and not under any warranty :(

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Devynn,
    Switch to Apple computers. I made the switch and would never consider going back to anything else! They are the best things in the world for graphics and photography applications. They also are wicked for everything else (except games). Apple does not have a lot of games that are made for it. It is also specified hardware, and the odds of a hardware failure are significantly less than a Windows based PC. Anyways food for thought.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Devynn said…

    Thanks for the advice, Darcy! But I had to go to the regular computer, because my Court Reporting software will not work on a MAC and that's what I need the most -- we have decided that our next computer will be a MAC (hopefully I will be a stay-at-home mom by then) so it won't matter!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home